Thursday, October 15, 2009

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll


I don't think I enjoyed the entire story now any more than I did the little snitches of it I was exposed to as a child.  Where once I found the story spooky and weird, I now found it arouses the same feelings in me as a dream does - confusion, conflict, disconnect, irritating.  I found myself thinking the attempts at humour were witty, yet lame and Alice an annoying, ignorant child.  But I wonder if that's what Lewis was trying to provoke, the sense of being in a dream?  But why?  What is the point of reading a story that gives me the same effect of taking a nap?  Perhaps the very end of the story suggests that he's trying to present the idea that dreams are the result of the sounds and smells upon our senses as our eyes close in sleep.  Or perhaps there is no reason for the story, as in Lewis' own words through Alice: "I don't believe there's an atom of meaning in it." and again through the King of Hearts:  "If there's no meaning in it, that saves a world of trouble, you know, as we needn't try to find any."  In which case, I'll not expend anymore brain power on analyzing the work.  No offense to Lewis intended with my opinion, so I will say, the story is a success in that it does produce a response within the reader!

One interesting bit of information:  I read this story on my computer, downloaded from:  http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page as well as online at:  http://www.literature.org/authors/carroll-lewis/alices-adventures-in-wonderland/index.html.

No comments:

Post a Comment